Monday, September 6, 2010

arrival...for real...

Well...I've now been here about a month. I officially feel as though there is little left of what "used to be" from life in Kansas. Making it official, I now have a CO license plate, drivers license and bank account. My daily routine and ensembles are oddities. They involve things like heels, getting up at 6.30am and going to bed before midnight. Overall, this is good for functioning in the real world, but still quite bizarre since I've always been a night owl.

I have parted ways with the glory that was the boat...

After a short (2.5hour) stint below a highway overpass in North Aurora, it became evident that the retirement of the boat was...well...impending doom. Turns out, being a silly little white girl, sitting stranded in a '94 Chevy Caprice, in a traditionally character filled portion of town, really encourages gentleman to stop and offer assistance. By the fifth offer I became slightly antsy and overly thankful that Emily would be swooping in to rescue me shortly. Soon after, the boat was towed off for the final repairs being paid for by anyone in the Burrow family. It was given a two week life span before driving in it transitioned from being simply comical to decently dangerous. Needless to say, I stepped up my previously non existant search for a more reliable vehicle. Via my expedited search, I settled on a silver 2010 Scion xB. I was having a hard time coming to terms with driving a typical looking vehicle. However, upon doing some research on the Scion I discovered I wouldn't have to sacrifice practicality or price for something that looked a bit goofy. I am thoroughly enjoying the new vehicle. It has nifty gadgets, like an iPod hook up and stearing wheel sterio control - these amuse me greatly. Plus...it does things like, accelerate when one pushes on the pedal, or break without squealing. I find these to be nice changes as well. Somehow I will have to learn to part from the frequent comments at gas stations like "What's a girl like you doing with a car like that?"... or... the excitement of unlocking the gas tank behind the license plate. I am reasonably confident I will be able to overcome these losses within a very short time. =)

9-5...

Upon the transition of a new state I have also slipped into the 9-5 grind. While this does include some perks...like establishing an actual schedule and not smelling of food...it also hinders the flexibility created with nonsensical odd jobs. I am working at a relocation company helping people find homes to rent. I find it immensely ironic that I am working a job that requires one to know quite a bit about Denver and it's surrounding areas. Needless to say, it is expediting my knowledge as I continue to tackle my KS learning curve in regards to neighborhoods, rent pricing and other aspects of the city. As with all jobs, there are pros and cons to the daily experience. I continue to enjoy that each day is different and that the environment is flexible enough that I have never taken lunch at the same time. I enjoy the multi-tasking and problem solving aspects within the job. However. I do not enjoy the fact that there are always people I cannot help and that there will always be people that try one's patience and levelheadedness. As a person that likes to know things, it is frustrating to be working a "big kid" job that still entails commission. It seems that for all the time I spend working, I spend twice as much time paying for things. One may tell me this is a part of life, and everything costs money, however, blahblahblah is what I have to say to you. As someone that has worked to earn a diversified degree and done an array of random things...it seems there would be a point when less questions would arise, budgets would grow vs. decrease, and opportunities would no longer be matched with obstacles. While patience is a virtue, and all good things come to those who wait, I still feel as though I continue to be working towards the next phase in my life.

It is perhaps the book I am reading (Three Cups of Tea), the discussions I am having, or the standard spazziness that occurs within my brain. Whatever the reason, I continue to ponder. What am I doing? What do I bring to the table? I say I have specific, yet varied, interests, but what am I doing with any of those? I love to learn and constantly wonder..but what am I doing to further educate myself? Is it enough to read, inquire, discuss...or should I be doing something more? If so..what? At the end of the work day is it important to push myself for more...or to relax and dive into simplistic nothingness? While all things are good in moderation, and balance is key, how does one determine the proper balance?

That being said...since moving here my 'content' level has all but sky rocketed. I serve a purpose within society (however short or long term, there is one that doesn't include hourly wage), my living space is clean, I genuinely smile often, and I take in the glorious beauty that are the mountains on a daily basis. My dog and I go on a walk every morning. I've found a grocery store I love...and it is not remotely associated with the names "Dillons/Kroger, Wal-Mart, Target, Price Chopper"...I eat things beyond the food group of ramen and I go somewhere new every week. My boss recently asked me if I miss Kansas. Without pausing a single moment I replied "No. Not one bit. I miss the people I love that remain in KS (or OK).. but not the entity that is Kansas." I've enjoyed the ability/opportunity to hike in the mountains. Something about climbing to the top and working your way down provides a sense of accomplishment, and for me, a certain level of happiness and satisfaction. I am curious to see what the winter brings. How/when/will I learn to ski or snowboard? It seems fitting for someone that intends to (or rather...does) live in Colorado...but it seems almost silly for someone looking to save money.

I continue to enjoy the adventure that occurs with the relocation to a new place, yet also long to travel. While I am more intrigued by the place I now call "home"...I cannot help but feel that the learning through travel is an aspect of my life that is missing. That being said, it is nice to be experiencing a place that provides adventure within a normal day. It's also something new and interesting to be able to identify cardinal directions, even if I do have to blatantly cheat and utilize the mountains to gain that awareness. I suppose one could say I'm more content than I have been, for a long time, but continue to wonder...what is to come...where do I wish to be...and how will I get there?

- with that I say cheers - here's to a short week =)

No comments:

Post a Comment